Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Another Week Gone By

Hello family and friends,
Crazy to think it's been 4 weeks tomorrow! The "hump" mark at the MTC is this Saturday! Woot woot :)
Let's see where to begin...Life is pretty repetitive. Samet thing everyday without much variation. Wake up, get ready, plan, eat, class, study, eat, language study, gym, teach, and study some more. But it's good. I feel like an old pro here because I've been here longer than English-speaking missionaries are...I leave for New Jersey in less than 5 weeks! I'm excited :)
Well some stories though about the week that you might enjoy....
My companion is very exact in following the guidelines sent to her in the missionary packet (more than me! It's weird...I never thought that was possible...) and she only brought 8 outfits and 1 pair of PJs. Well her PJs is actually a nightgown. An old lady nightgown...embrodiered and all. Well she one day was wearing her nightgown and as a joke was trying to dress it up with a belt and cardigan and it actually looked like an outfit. We dared her to wear it all day long but she resisted at first because she didn't believe that we were being honest. When she realized we weren't lying she took the challenge and wore her nightgown as an outfit. Everytime she was complimented on her outfit we died laughing...oh the joys you have when finding fun ways to "party" within the bounds the Lord has set :)
The other day was just one of those days and I was having a rough time. I didn't feel like myself and couldn't grasp the Spanish and whatnot. You know those types of days...just like nothing is going your way. Well the Elders in my district are a hoot (though it can be annoying when you're trying to focus) and they decided they would sing me a song. They love Disney and teenage girl music then us, the Hermanas. They are more girly than we are, it's like somedays we switch rules. (We have Star Wars stickers and they have Princesses -- seriously!) Anyways, they let me choose the song for them to sing and can you guess what I picked? Hannah Montana's "The Climb"!!! It made my day! :)
It's true what has been said (by Elder Packer?) that the strengthening and forming of a testimony is found in the building of it. We bear testimony all the time (one of the many great perks as being a servant of the Lord) and it is wonderful. I can tell I have grown so much being here in just 4 weeks...I can't imagine what the next 17 months-ish will be like. I'll be a whole new (better) person! Last night we taught one of our "investigators" about the Plan of Salvation. I was responsible for teaching about the Pre-Earth life and the Creation. It was the BEST lesson we've ever had. The Spirit was incredibly strong and I could literally feel the Spirit working through me. It is such a privilege and honor to be a chosen and worthy vessel of the Lord. Everyone else could feel the Spirit present...my companions and I and our teacher (who is our investigator). She told us twice after what a good lesson it was (something she's never done before). I'm not a huge fan of role plays because they feel fake to me and all I think is this person is an endowed member of the church...what can I do? But so much more! Bearing testimony of the gift of our physical bodies is where the Spirit came with full force. So, I've learned at least 2 things from that experience...even in role plays I can be a missionary and the importance of the spirit and of our bodies (I guess that was 3). I hope every lesson from now on can go like that!
Oh one more thing...another Elder from our district went home last weekend. It was very hard on everyone because he was making such progress in his Spanish and teaching but he didn't see it in himself so he went home. I was incredibly disappointed to say the least. I have a little better understanding of how our Heavenly Father feels when we're doing great but we lack enough faith to keep going forward. But one thing is for sure, He still loves us and there is no point in life where we can't return to Him nor does He wish otherwise. The Atonement is wonderful. I can feel of it's power so strongly in my life. It's incredibly difficult being here. Waking up at 6:30 can be the worst thing ever, let alone getting out of bed, but Christ is there. Sometimes I think He is pulling my blanket off of me and tugging at my arm to get up. I know that everything wrong in life can be made right in Jesus Christ. I'm reminded of this truth everyday and I'm so grateful that I can be one of the special messengers of God to invite others to come unto Christ.
Well that's it for this week. The days are slow but the weeks are flying. I can't wait for NJ, though it is scary, but go forward with faith and all will be well :)
Love you all,
Hermana Peterson
PS If you see any missionaries out there, say hi and be kind to them...maybe even listen to their message (whether you're a member or not!) ;)

No comments: