Well this past week has definitely gone faster than first 4 days :)
The Spanish is coming along which is such a blessing! Don't get me wrong I still have a long way to go but I'm constantly amazed how much I can understand and kind of speak. (Speaking is perhaps the hardest for me along with hearing words but writing and especially reading are more of my strengths). My zone (or here in the MTC my branch) is all Spanish-speaking missionaries so most everything is done in Spanish -- the prayers, the Sacrament, some talks (except if someone from the Branch presidency speaks), and testimonies are in Spanish. This past Sunday I was surprised how much I understood what was going on. I'm so grateful to have the gift of tongues and Heaven's help with learning.
It feels like not much goes on here. Our lives revolve around meals and gym time because that means we get to eat and go outside lol. I feel like I'm getting so fat here because I eat so much more than I used to with significantly less exercise (I underestimated how much walking to class and around Rexburg did for me). The food isn't bad. It's definitely not Mom or Kevin's delicious cooking but it's enjoyably edible haha It's also nice not to have to cook my own food either. I always try to make a conscious effort to thank the workers though because feeding nearly 3,000 people 3x a day is an intense job.
Some very funny things have been happening in my companionship (I hope you can sense the hilarity of it all!) Well we have been learning easily 50 words a day and it gets very challenging to remember. Well Hma Wagner was trying to ask, "Do you have hunger?" (aka are you hungry) instead of using hambre (hungry) she said hombre (men) so she asked do you have men?! Then our "investigator" Ismael we said his last name was Jones but you pronounce it differently with the Spanish alphabet so Sis. Wagner kept saying the last name which we came to find out by our teacher was not a good word, it's part of the male anatomy...oops! Then this morning at laundry Sis. Wagner again (it's so funny this keeps happening to her) accidentally took one garment bottom from one of the Elders who left it in her dryer. We didn't notice until we got back to the room and started folding our clothes...oh man we died laughing in hysterics!!!!!!! Speaking of, that is something our companionship is VERY good at: LAUGHING! We laugh all the time. They say laughter is the best medicine which is good and it definitely helps alleviate some of the stress we constantly face.
So, I was reading in Moses 6 last night about Enoch and how he didn't understand why God had called him to the work because he was hated by the people and slow of speech. I can understand where he is coming from, but I love the Lord's response and gives comfort that he will help him. However, my favorite was the end of verse 39, "for he walked with God." My brother, Brian, wrote me a note on my family-signed pillowcase that said enjoy my walk with God and I didn't understand until I read that last night. Then it hit me, WOW!!! I really am walking with God. It's very humbling that He trusts me to help bring souls unto Him. I was reading in Preach My Gospel yesterday (can I just say how much I love that book?! It's so inspired.) that says as you bear testimony and share spiritual experiences with those you first meet they will recognize you as servants of the Lord. That hit me too. I absolutely love wearing the black nametag but I tend to forget how important and special it is because everyone around here has one too. It will be awesome though when I'm in NJ and everyone is staring at me. It'll be weird at first, but yes stare, talk to me, let's learn :)
I'm running out of time. I can't upload photos again so I went to the bookstore and ordered some to be printed so I can't send them out until next P-Day but they are coming :) Thanks again for all those who wrote me this past week and sent stuff (the cookies were delicious Mom! We all enjoyed them thoroughly). Thank you also for your prayers. Please don't let either of them stop. It's amazing the support, strength, and encouragement they bring, and at just the right time. Hope everyone is doing well. You're in my prayers but I know Heavenly Father is watching out for you for me, He definitely does love His missionaries.
Hope to hear from you again!
Until next week, all my love,
Hermana Peterson

No comments:
Post a Comment